Aaliyah Dana Haughton (January 16, 1979 – August 25, 2001), who performed under the mononym Aaliyah, was an American recording artist, dancer, actress, and model. She was born in Brooklyn, New York, and raised in Detroit, Michigan. At the age of 10, she appeared on the television show Star Search and performed in concert alongside Gladys Knight. At age 12, Aaliyah signed with Jive Records and her uncle Barry Hankerson’s Blackground Records. Hankerson introduced her to R. Kelly, who became her mentor, as well as lead songwriter and producer of her debut album, Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number. The album sold three million copies in the United States and was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. After facing allegations of an illegal marriage with R. Kelly, Aaliyah ended her contract with Jive and signed with Atlantic Records.
1. I STAY TRUE TO MYSELF AND MY STYLE, AND I AM ALWAYS PUSHING MYSELF TO BE AWARE OF THAT AND BE ORIGINAL.
2. KEEP WORKING HARD AND YOU CAN GET ANYTHING THAT YOU WANT.
3. IF I DON’T THINK ABOUT IT, IT WON’T DRIVE ME CRAZY.
4. BECAUSE I CAME OUT AS A SINGER, I TOOK THE TIME TO GET AN ACTING COACH.
5. I KNOW THAT PEOPLE THINK I’M SEXY AND I AM LOOKED AT AS THAT. IT IS COOL WITH ME. IT’S WONDERFUL TO HAVE SEXY APPEAL. IF YOU EMBRACE IT, IT CAN BE A VERY BEAUTIFUL THING.
6. IT’S HARD TO SAY WHAT I WANT MY LEGACY TO BE WHEN I’M LONG GONE.
7. IN FILM, YOU ARE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON THAN IN THE VIDEO.
8. I HAVE THE TIME NEEDED TO SUPPORT THE ALBUM AND TOUR.
9. ROMEO MUST DIE CAME AT THE RIGHT TIME. IT WAS THE RIGHT VEHICLE FOR ME.
10. I DON’T WANT TO ABANDON ONE WORK FOR THE OTHER, AND I DON’T THINK I NEED TO SACRIFICE ANYTHING TO PUT MY ALL INTO EITHER ONE OF THEM.
11. I’M INVOLVED IN SOME ACTION SCENES, SO THEY’LL TRAIN ME FOR THAT. I’LL BE WORKING WITH MY ACTING COACH TO PREPARE FOR MY CHARACTER.
12. IT’S REALLY A SAD STORY, AND I LIKED THAT. THE SONGS ON THIS ALBUM TALK ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS IN EVERY ASPECT.
13. IF YOU WANT TO GO TO THE MALL, YOU HAVE TO TAKE SECURITY. BUT IT’S ALWAYS COOL. THE KIDS ARE AMAZING.
14. YOU HAVE TO LOVE WHAT YOU DO TO WANT TO DO IT EVERYDAY.
15. I DON’T THINK ABOUT MY PREVIOUS SUCCESS. I’M HAPPY THAT THE WORK I’VE DONE HAS BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL.
16. I WANT PEOPLE TO REMEMBER ME AS A FULL ON ENTERTAINER AND A GOOD PERSON.
17. I SEE MYSELF AS SEXY. IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH IT, IT CAN BE VERY CLASSY AND APPEALING.
18. I THINK IT’S IMPORTANT TO TAKE A BREAK, YOU KNOW, FROM THE PUBLIC EYE FOR A WHILE, AND GIVE PEOPLE A CHANCE TO MISS YOU. I WANT LONGEVITY. I DON’T WANT TO GET OUT THERE AND RUN MYSELF RAGGED AND SPREAD MYSELF THIN.
19. THERE ARE TIMES I CAN’T EVEN FIGURE MYSELF OUT.
20. THERE ARE CERTAIN THINGS I WANT TO KEEP TO ME. I DON’T DISCUSS MY PRIVATE LIFE.
21. I BEGAN TO WORK THE STAGE AND GET THE AUDIENCE INTO IT. I ALSO LEARNED HOW TO HAVE FUN OUT THERE. IT IS SOMETHING I WILL NEVER FORGET.
22. THERE ARE TIMES IN MY LIFE WHEN I JUST WANT TO BE BY MYSELF.
23. ALL I CAN DO IS LEAVE IT IN GOD’S HANDS AND HOPE THAT MY FANS FEEL WHERE I’M COMING FROM.
24. I’M A TOTAL PERFORMER.
25. I DON’T FEEL I MADE ANY SACRIFICES AT ALL. I’M DOING MY BEST TO JUGGLE.
26. THE MATRIX IS TOP SECRET. THERE ISN’T MUCH THAT CAN BE SAID RIGHT NOW.
27. I’M THE INTERPRETER. I’M THE ONE WHO TAKES YOUR WORDS AND BRINGS THEM TO LIFE. I WAS TRAINED TO SING AND DANCE AND LAUGH, AND THAT’S WHAT I WANT TO DO.
28. IT WAS ALWAYS PART OF THE PLAN TO MOVE INTO ACTING.