Cillian Murphy (born 25 May 1976) is an Irish actor of stage and screen. Since making his debut in his home country in the late 1990s, Murphy has also become a presence in British and American cinema – noted by critics for his performances in a wide range of roles.
A native of Cork, Murphy began his performing career as a rock musician. After turning down a record deal, he made his professional acting debut in the play Disco Pigs in 1996. While continuing with stage work he also began appearing in independent films, first coming to international attention in 2002 as the hero of Danny Boyle’s post-apocalyptic film 28 Days Later. Murphy’s profile continued to grow in 2005 when he appeared in a series of successful films: firstly as the Scarecrow in Christopher Nolan’s 2005 blockbuster Batman Begins – a role he reprised in The Dark Knight (2008) and The Dark Knight Rises (2012) – and secondly in the action–thriller Red Eye. For his performance as a transgender woman in Breakfast on Pluto, Murphy received a Golden Globe award nomination for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy.
1. I DON’T THINK THEY’D EVER MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT CHUCK BAKER BUT I’D LOVE TO PLAY CHUCK BAKER.
2. AT THE MOMENT I’M DOING THIS SPACE MOVIE, SO I’M OBSESSED WITH PHYSICS AND SPACE TRAVEL. I KNOW THREE MONTHS DOWN THE LINE IT’S GONE. THEN I’LL BE ABLE TO SUPERFICIALLY SAY STUFF ABOUT SPACE.
3. I’D LOVE TO WORK IN AMERICA, SOME OF MY FAVOURITE FILMS COME FROM AMERICA.
4. IT WAS VERY MUCH ABOUT PERFORMANCES, THE WHOLE ENSEMBLE THING WAS JUST GREAT – EVERYBODY WORKING TOGETHER. SOMETIMES IT DIDN’T FEEL LIKE A FILM SET. IT WASN’T TECHNICALLY DRIVEN, IT WAS VERY, VERY ENJOYABLE.
5. THEN I WANTED THE CHARACTER TO BE FEMININE AS OPPOSED TO EFFEMINATE. BECAUSE IT’S EASY TO BE CAMP OR QUEEN. ANYONE CAN DO THAT. WHAT’S DIFFICULT IS TO PLAY FEMININE.
6. WHAT WE DO AS ACTORS IS WE GO THROUGH PHASES WHERE YOU SUPERFICIALLY LEARN ALL THIS INFORMATION.
7. IT’S OBVIOUS THAT IF YOU’RE GOING TO PLAY A CHARACTER YOU NEED TO AMASS INFORMATION ABOUT THAT PERSON AND ABOUT THEIR ENVIRONMENT OR THEIR ERA THAT THEY’RE IN AND USE AS LITTLE OR AS MUCH AS NECESSARY.
8. THE BEST ROLES YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FOR. YOU HAVE TO REALLY WANT TO DO IT AND YOU HAVE TO GO AFTER IT.
9. MY WIFE CAN SEE ALWAYS HOW A PART AFFECTS ME PERSONALLY BECAUSE SHE HAS TO LIVE WITH IT.
10. HAVING STARTED OUT IN THEATRE, I FEEL AN IMPULSE TO DO IT AS MUCH AS I CAN.
11. I DON’T HAVE A BURNING PASSION TO LIVE IN AMERICA PER SE BUT I WOULD CERTAINLY LIKE TO WORK THERE.
12. I ENJOY ALL ASPECTS OF IT, I DON’T HAVE A PREFERENCE FOR ANY MEDIUM. I THINK EACH OF THEM HAS ITS ATTRACTIONS AND I WOULD HOPE THEY EACH INFORM THE OTHER IN SOME WAY.
13. THERE’S A LOT OF COMEDY IN INTERMISSION BUT IT’S GOT THIS DEPTH. IT’S NOT COMEDY FOR COMEDY’S SAKE – IT’S INFORMED BY SOMETHING ELSE. I LIKE STUFF LIKE THAT.