Cuba M. Gooding, Jr. (born January 2, 1968) is an American film actor. He is perhaps best known for his portrayal of Rod Tidwell in Cameron Crowe’s Jerry Maguire (1996), for which he won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. His performances in films such as Boyz n the Hood (1991), As Good as It Gets (1997), Men of Honor (2000), Rat Race (2001), Snow Dogs (2002), and The Butler (2013) were also well received.
Gooding Jr., was born in Bronx, New York, the son of Shirley Gooding, a singer with the Sweethearts, and Cuba Gooding, Sr., a lead vocalist of the soul group The Main Ingredient.
1. THE ACADEMY AWARDS WAS AN AMAZING NIGHT. I KNOW I KIND OF LOST MY MIND A LITTLE BIT. I APOLOGIZE FOR THAT. THAT NIGHT WENT SO FAST; I CAN’T REMEMBER WHAT I SAID OR WHAT HAPPENED.
2. I’M NOT A PRUDE. ON THE SET, THEY CALLED ME ‘BUTT NAKED.’
3. I WORKED SO MUCH WHEN MY FIRST SON WAS BORN THAT I MISSED A LOT.
4. I HAVE NEVER MADE A DECISION BASED ON RACE AND NEVER WILL.
5. I SPEAK TO MY AGENT ABOUT GREAT ROLES, AND HE’S LIKE, ‘THEY ARE ALL GOING TO WILL SMITH.’
6. I AM ADMIRING OF MY FELLOW PEERS, BLACK FILMMAKERS AND BLACK ACTORS AND ACTRESSES.
7. DON’T LET PEOPLE DISRESPECT YOU. MY MOM SAYS DON’T OPEN THE DOOR TO THE DEVIL. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE.