Denzel Hayes Washington, Jr. (born December 28, 1954) is an American actor, film director, and film producer. He has received much critical acclaim for his work in film since the 1990s, including for his portrayals of real-life figures such as Steve Biko, Malcolm X, Rubin “Hurricane” Carter, Melvin B. Tolson, Frank Lucas, and Herman Boone. Washington is a featured actor in the films produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and was a frequent collaborator of the late director Tony Scott.
Washington has received two Golden Globe awards and a Tony Award, and two Academy Awards: Best Supporting Actor for Glory (1989) and Best Actor for Training Day (2001).
1. YOU PRAY FOR RAIN, YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH THE MUD TOO. THAT’S A PART OF IT.
2. I MADE A COMMITMENT TO COMPLETELY CUT OUT DRINKING AND ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HAMPER ME FROM GETTING MY MIND AND BODY TOGETHER. AND THE FLOODGATES OF GOODNESS HAVE OPENED UPON ME – SPIRITUALLY AND FINANCIALLY.
3. I’D BE MORE FRIGHTENED BY NOT USING WHATEVER ABILITIES I’D BEEN GIVEN. I’D BE MORE FRIGHTENED BY PROCRASTINATION AND LAZINESS.
4. MY MOTHER USED TO TELL ME MAN GIVES THE AWARD, GOD GIVES THE REWARD. I DON’T NEED ANOTHER PLAQUE.
5. I NEVER REALLY HAD THE CLASSIC STRUGGLE. I HAD FAITH.
6. I SAY LUCK IS WHEN AN OPPORTUNITY COMES ALONG AND YOU’RE PREPARED FOR IT.
7. IF I AM A CUP MAKER, I’M INTERESTED IN MAKING THE BEST CUP I POSSIBLY CAN. MY EFFORT GOES INTO THAT CUP, NOT WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT IT.
8. LUCK IS WHERE OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION.
9. IF YOU HAVE AN ENEMY, THEN LEARN AND KNOW YOUR ENEMY, DON’T JUST BE MAD AT HIM OR HER.
10. MY FAITH HELPS ME UNDERSTAND THAT CIRCUMSTANCES DON’T DICTATE MY HAPPINESS, MY INNER PEACE.
11. MY ULTIMATE LIFE DREAM PROJECT IS MY KIDS. MY FAMILY.
12. ACTING IS JUST A WAY OF MAKING A LIVING, THE FAMILY IS LIFE.
13. I DON’T CONCERN MYSELF WITH AWARD. I’D BEEN TO THE PARTY ENOUGH TIMES TO KNOW IT REALLY DIDN’T MATTER.
14. YOU HAVE TO GRAB MOMENTS WHEN THEY HAPPEN. I LIKE TO IMPROVISE AND AD LIB.
15. DAKOTA FANNING IS A CHILD, BUT SHE IS A WONDERFUL ACTOR. I DON’T KNOW WHAT A CHILD ACTOR IS. SHE’S AN ACTOR WHO’S A CHILD.
16. BLACK OR WHITE GOOD PARTS ARE HARD TO COME BY. A GOOD ACTOR WITH A GOOD OPPORTUNITY HAS A SHOT; WITHOUT THE OPPORTUNITY IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW GOOD YOU ARE.
17. I PLAYED OTHELLO, BUT I DIDN’T SIT AROUND THINKING HOW LAURENCE OLIVIER DID IT WHEN HE PLAYED IT. THAT WOULDN’T DO ME ANY GOOD.
18. YOU DON’T KNOW WHEN YOU’RE BEING WATCHED. THAT’S ONE OF THE WEIRD THINGS ABOUT CELEBRITY. IT’S MY LEAST FAVORITE PART OF ACTING, CELEBRITY.
19. WHERE I THINK THE MOST WORK NEEDS TO BE DONE IS BEHIND THE CAMERA, NOT IN FRONT OF IT.
20. ANY GOOD PIECE OF MATERIAL LIKE SHAKESPEARE OUGHT TO BE OPEN TO REINTERPRETATION.
21. I STILL HAVE MY UNEMPLOYMENT BOOKS AND I REMEMBER WHEN I WORKED FOR THE SANITATION DEPARTMENT AND THE POST OFFICE.
22. I’M NOT IN THE LOOP; I DON’T KNOW ANY ACTORS, REALLY, JUST THE ONES I WORK WITH.
23. MAN GIVES YOU THE AWARD BUT GOD GIVES YOU THE REWARD.