Isaac Asimov (born January 2, 1920 – April 6, 1992) was an American author and professor of biochemistry at Boston University, best known for his works of science fiction and for his popular science books. Asimov was one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. His books have been published in 9 of the 10 major categories of the Dewey Decimal Classification.
Asimov is widely considered a master of hard science fiction and, along with Robert A. Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke, he was considered one of the “Big Three” science fiction writers during his lifetime. Asimov’s most famous work is the Foundation Series; his other major series are the Galactic Empire series and the Robot series. The Galactic Empire novels are explicitly set in earlier history of the same fictional universe as the Foundation series.
1. PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ARE A GREAT ANNOYANCE TO THOSE OF US WHO DO.
2. LIFE IS PLEASANT. DEATH IS PEACEFUL. IT’S THE TRANSITION THAT’S TROUBLESOME.
3. IF KNOWLEDGE CAN CREATE PROBLEMS, IT IS NOT THROUGH IGNORANCE THAT WE CAN SOLVE THEM.
4. IT TAKES MORE THAN CAPITAL TO SWING BUSINESS. YOU’VE GOT TO HAVE THE A. I. D. DEGREE TO GET BY – ADVERTISING, INITIATIVE, AND DYNAMICS.
5. INDIVIDUAL SCIENCE FICTION STORIES MAY SEEM AS TRIVIAL AS EVER TO THE BLINDER CRITICS AND PHILOSOPHERS OF TODAY – BUT THE CORE OF SCIENCE FICTION, ITS ESSENCE HAS BECOME CRUCIAL TO OUR SALVATION IF WE ARE TO BE SAVED AT ALL.
6. I AM NOT A SPEED READER. I AM A SPEED UNDERSTANDER.
7. PART OF THE INHUMANITY OF THE COMPUTER IS THAT, ONCE IT IS COMPETENTLY PROGRAMMED AND WORKING SMOOTHLY, IT IS COMPLETELY HONEST.
8. WHEN I READ ABOUT THE WAY IN WHICH LIBRARY FUNDS ARE BEING CUT AND CUT, I CAN ONLY THINK THAT AMERICAN SOCIETY HAS FOUND ONE MORE WAY TO DESTROY ITSELF.
9. NO SENSIBLE DECISION CAN BE MADE ANY LONGER WITHOUT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT NOT ONLY THE WORLD AS IT IS, BUT THE WORLD AS IT WILL BE.
10. HUMANITY HAS THE STARS IN ITS FUTURE, AND THAT FUTURE IS TOO IMPORTANT TO BE LOST UNDER THE BURDEN OF JUVENILE FOLLY AND IGNORANT SUPERSTITION.
11. HUMANITY HAS THE STARS IN ITS FUTURE, AND THAT FUTURE IS TOO IMPORTANT TO BE LOST UNDER THE BURDEN OF JUVENILE FOLLY AND IGNORANT SUPERSTITION.
12. I DON’T BELIEVE IN AN AFTERLIFE, SO I DON’T HAVE TO SPEND MY WHOLE LIFE FEARING HELL, OR FEARING HEAVEN EVEN MORE. FOR WHATEVER THE TORTURES OF HELL, I THINK THE BOREDOM OF HEAVEN WOULD BE EVEN WORSE.
13. WRITING, TO ME, IS SIMPLY THINKING THROUGH MY FINGERS.
14. VIOLENCE IS THE LAST REFUGE OF THE INCOMPETENT.
15. THERE IS A SINGLE LIGHT OF SCIENCE, AND TO BRIGHTEN IT ANYWHERE IS TO BRIGHTEN IT EVERYWHERE.
16. IT IS CHANGE, CONTINUING CHANGE, INEVITABLE CHANGE, THAT IS THE DOMINANT FACTOR IN SOCIETY TODAY. NO SENSIBLE DECISION CAN BE MADE ANY LONGER WITHOUT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT NOT ONLY THE WORLD AS IT IS, BUT THE WORLD AS IT WILL BE.