James Edmund Caan (born March 26, 1940) is an American actor. He is best known for his starring roles in The Godfather, Thief, The Gambler, Misery, A Bridge Too Far, Brian’s Song, Rollerball, Kiss Me Goodbye, and El Dorado. He also starred as “Big Ed” Deline in the television series Las Vegas. As of 2014 he plays Terry “The Cannon” Gannon, Sr. in the ABC sitcom Back in the Game.
Caan was born in The Bronx, New York, the son of Sophie and Arthur Caan, Jewish immigrants from Germany. His father was a meat dealer and butcher. One of three siblings, Caan grew up in Sunnyside, Queens, New York City.
1. NO MATTER WHAT HEIGHTS YOU ACHIEVE, EVEN IF YOU’RE BRAD PITT, THE SLIDE IS COMING, SURE AS DEATH AND TAXES.
2. UNLESS I LOVE SOMETHING OR HATE IT, I DON’T WANT TO DEAL WITH IT.
3. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU LET SOMEONE WIN.
4. WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SEX AND LOVE? I HAVE FOUR WIVES AND FIVE KIDS. I APPARENTLY DON’T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.
5. I NEVER RODE A BULL – I’M NOT THAT STUPID.
6. YOU’RE THE ONLY ONE WHO’S CLOSING YOUR EYES AT NIGHT. THERE’S NO ONE ELSE WHO CAN DO IT FOR YOU.
7. SAVING A LETTER FROM AN OLD FRIEND DOESN’T EXIST ANYMORE. EVERYTHING IS TEXTED OR EMAILED.
8. I THINK WE HAVE TO BELIEVE IN THINGS WE DON’T SEE. THAT’S REALLY IMPORTANT FOR ALL OF US, WHETHER IT’S YOUR RELIGION OR SANTA CLAUS, OR WHATEVER. THAT’S PRETTY MUCH WHAT IT’S ABOUT.
9. IT IS THAT, BUT REALLY, IT’S ABOUT HOW WE DON’T RECOGNISE THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE, OR APPRECIATE THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE LIKE BELONGING. A SENSE OF BELONGING IS A BIG THING TODAY.
10. SHOWING UP EVERY DAY ISN’T ENOUGH. THERE ARE A LOT OF GUYS WHO SHOW UP EVERY DAY WHO SHOULDN’T HAVE SHOWED UP AT ALL.
11. I WENT TO A SHRINK ONCE, BUT I CAUGHT HIM GOING TO A FORTUNE-TELLER SO I QUIT.
12. I WON’T MENTION NAMES, BUT IN MY CAREER, THE MOST TALENTED PEOPLE INVARIABLY ARE THE EASIEST AND NICEST TO GET ALONG WITH.
13. MY LEAST FAVORITE PHRASE IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS ‘I DON’T CARE.’
14. SOME GUYS SAY BEAUTY IS ONLY SKIN DEEP. BUT WHEN YOU WALK INTO A PARTY, YOU DON’T SEE SOMEBODY’S BRAIN. THE INITIAL CONTACT HAS TO BE THE SNIFFING.