Sir James Matthew Barrie (9 May 1860 – 19 June 1937) was a Scottish author and dramatist, best remembered today as the creator of Peter Pan. The child of a family of small-town weavers, he was educated in Scotland. He moved to London, where he developed a career as a novelist and playwright. There he met the Llewelyn Davies boys who inspired him in writing about a baby boy who has magical adventures in Kensington Gardens, then to write Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn’t Grow Up, a “fairy play” about this ageless boy and an ordinary girl named Wendy who have adventures in the fantasy setting of Neverland. This play quickly overshadowed his previous work and although he continued to write successfully, it became his best-known work, credited with popularising the name Wendy, which was very uncommon previously. Barrie unofficially adopted the Davies boys following the deaths of their parents.
1. THOSE WHO BRING SUNSHINE INTO THE LIVES OF OTHERS CANNOT KEEP IT FROM THEMSELVES.
2. LIFE IS A LONG LESSON IN HUMILITY.
3. THAT IS EVER THE WAY. ‘IT’S ALL JEALOUSY TO THE BRIDE AND GOOD WISHES TO THE CORPSE.
4. SHALL WE MAKE A NEW RULE OF LIFE FROM TONIGHT: ALWAYS TO TRY TO BE A LITTLE KINDER THAN IS NECESSARY?
5. EVERY MAN WHO IS HIGH UP LIKES TO THINK THAT HE HAS DONE IT ALL HIMSELF, AND THE WIFE SMILES AND LETS IT GO AT THAT.
6. NOTHING IS REALLY WORK UNLESS YOU WOULD RATHER BE DOING SOMETHING ELSE.
7. THE MOST USELESS ARE THOSE WHO NEVER CHANGE THROUGH THE YEARS.
8. I AM NOT YOUNG ENOUGH TO KNOW EVERYTHING.
9. DO YOU BELIEVE IN FAIRIES? SAY QUICK THAT YOU BELIEVE. IF YOU BELIEVE, CLAP YOUR HANDS!
10. A SAFE BUT SOMETIMES CHILLY WAY OF RECALLING THE PAST IS TO FORCE OPEN A CRAMMED DRAWER. IF YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR YOU DON’T FIND IT, BUT SOMETHING FALLS OUT AT THE BACK THAT IS OFTEN MORE INTERESTING.
11. AMBITION – IT IS THE LAST INFIRMITY OF NOBLE MINDS.
12. THE PRAISE THAT COMES FROM LOVE DOES NOT MAKE US VAIN, BUT MORE HUMBLE.
13. THE PRAISE THAT COMES FROM LOVE DOES NOT MAKE US VAIN, BUT MORE HUMBLE.
14. GOD GAVE US MEMORY SO THAT WE MIGHT HAVE ROSES IN DECEMBER.
15. THE LIFE OF EVERY MAN IS A DIARY IN WHICH HE MEANS TO WRITE ONE STORY, AND WRITES ANOTHER; AND HIS HUMBLEST HOUR IS WHEN HE COMPARES THE VOLUME AS IT IS WITH WHAT HE VOWED TO MAKE IT.
16. LET NO ONE WHO LOVES BE UNHAPPY, EVEN LOVE UNRETURNED HAS ITS RAINBOW.
17. YOU MUST HAVE BEEN WARNED AGAINST LETTING THE GOLDEN HOURS SLIP BY; BUT SOME OF THEM ARE GOLDEN ONLY BECAUSE WE LET THEM SLIP BY.
18. TEMPER IS A WEAPON THAT WE HOLD BY THE BLADE.
19. I KNOW NOT, SIR, WHETHER BACON WROTE THE WORKS OF SHAKESPEARE, BUT IF HE DID NOT, IT SEEMS TO ME THAT HE MISSED THE OPPORTUNITY OF HIS LIFE.
20. I’M YOUTH, I’M JOY, I’M A LITTLE BIRD THAT HAS BROKEN OUT OF THE EGG.
21. WE NEVER UNDERSTAND HOW LITTLE WE NEED IN THIS WORLD UNTIL WE KNOW THE LOSS OF IT.
22. EVERYTIME A CHILD SAYS ‘I DON’T BELIEVE IN FAIRIES’ THERE IS A A LITTLE FAIRY SOMEWHERE THAT FALLS DOWN DEAD.
23. THERE ARE FEW MORE IMPRESSIVE SIGHTS IN THE WORLD THAN A SCOTSMAN ON THE MAKE.
24. A WOMAN CAN BE ANYTHING THE MAN WHO LOVES HER WOULD HAVE HER BE.
25. WE ARE ALL OF US FAILURES, AT LEAST, THE BEST OF US ARE.