Jennifer Shrader Lawrence (born August 15, 1990) is an American actress. Her first major role was as a lead cast member on the TBS sitcom The Bill Engvall Show (2007–09). She subsequently appeared in the independent films The Burning Plain (2008) and Winter’s Bone (2010), for which she received her first Academy Award for Best Actress nomination; at the time, she was the second youngest person to receive a nomination in the category.
At age 22, Lawrence’s performance in the David O. Russell-directed romantic comedy Silver Linings Playbook (2012) earned her several awards, including the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress (Musical or Comedy) and the Academy Award for Best Actress, making her the second-youngest Best Actress winner at the Oscars. For her supporting role in Russell’s comedy-drama American Hustle (2013), she was awarded the Golden Globe Award, the BAFTA Award and received a third Academy Award nomination, all for Best Supporting Actress.
1. TEENAGERS ONLY HAVE TO FOCUS ON THEMSELVES – IT’S NOT UNTIL WE GET OLDER THAN WE REALIZE THAT OTHER PEOPLE EXIST.
2. EVEN AS FAR BACK AS WHEN I STARTED ACTING AT 14, I KNOW I’VE NEVER CONSIDERED FAILURE.
3. I GREW UP IN KENTUCKY, BUT I DID NOT GROW UP LIKE THAT. I HAD HEAT, AND I DIDN’T HAVE TO SHOOT MY DINNER OR ANYTHING.
4. I’VE DONE ARCHERY FOR ABOUT SIX WEEKS, AND ROCK CLIMBING, TREE CLIMBING – AND COMBAT, RUNNING AND VAULTING. BUT ALSO YOGA AND THINGS LIKE THAT, TO STAY CATLIKE!
5. IT WAS LIKE PULLING TEETH TRYING TO GET ME TO L.A. I HATED IT FOR SO LONG, BUT NOW I’VE GOT THIS GREAT LIFE HERE.
6. MY COUSIN CLEANED OUT A SHOTGUN FOR ME AND LET ME CARRY IT AROUND THE HOUSE, BECAUSE HE SAID, ‘ANYBODY WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT GUNS IS GOING TO KNOW IN A SECOND IF SOMEONE HAS HELD A GUN BEFORE.’ I DIDN’T WANT TO BE THAT PERSON. I WANTED TO BE PRACTICED.
7. HOW DO I LET THE DIRECTOR KNOW HOW OBSESSED I AM AND WILLING TO DO ANYTHING FOR THE MOVIE? LIKE, I WANTED TO WRITE THIS ONE DIRECTOR A LETTER, SO I WROTE HIM A HANDWRITTEN NOTE. BUT THEN I WAS LIKE, ‘HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE WRITING THIS GUY HANDWRITTEN LETTERS? IS IT GOING TO SEEM CHEESY? WHAT DO I DO?’
8. DID I FEEL NAKED BEING NAKED? YEAH. TOTALLY.
9. I WENT THROUGH A WOOD-CHOPPING PHASE WHEN I WAS NINE OR 10.
10. I WANTED TO BE A DOCTOR WHEN I WAS LITTLE, SO I’M OKAY WITH BLOOD AND GUTS.
11. I WANT TO PLAY A CHARACTER I’VE NEVER BEEN BEFORE-A CRAZY SERIAL KILLER LIKE CHARLIZE THERON IN MONSTER. I’D LOVE TO HAVE TO SHAVE MY HEAD.
12. ANYTIME YOU’RE AWAY FROM YOUR HOME FILMING, IT MESSES WITH YOUR HEAD.
13. BUT REALLY, FOR THE MOST PART – DOING A PREQUEL IS GREAT BECAUSE YOU DO HAVE ROOM TO KIND OF FREE THIS CHARACTER AND HOW THEY GOT TO WHERE THEY ARE INSTEAD OF BEING A SLAVE TO EXACTLY WHAT THE PREVIOUS ACTOR DID.
14. I HAD TO LEARN HOW TO CHOP WOOD ACTUALLY – I DON’T THINK MY DAD WOULD HAVE LET ME GO CHOP WOOD IN THE BACKYARD GROWING UP.
15. I GET PHOTOGRAPHERS HIDING IN MY BUSHES. WE’RE WAY PAST AUTOGRAPHS. WE’RE INTO BEING STALKED AND FOLLOWED.
16. AND WHEN I’M ON SET, I’M JUST THINKING ABOUT THE SCRIPT AND OF WORKING. I THINK I’VE STAYED FOCUSED ON THE WORK SO MUCH THAT I HAVEN’T REALLY NOTICED MY LIFE START TO CHANGE EXCEPT FOR I’VE GOTTEN BUSIER.
17. AS HARD AS IT IS AND AS TIRED AS I AM, I FORCE MYSELF TO GET DINNER AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK WITH MY GIRLFRIENDS, OR HAVE A SLEEPOVER. OTHERWISE MY LIFE IS JUST WORK.
18. I NEVER THINK IT’S RIGHT TO CHEW GUM IN FRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE, BUT A LOT OF TIMES I’LL COME IN FOR A MEETING CHEWING GUM AND I’LL FORGET I’M CHEWING IT. THEN YOU DON’T WANT TO SWALLOW IT BECAUSE IT STAYS IN YOUR SYSTEM FOR SEVEN YEARS OR SOMETHING, SO I’VE ASKED TO THROW IT AWAY. I’VE STARTED TO WONDER IF THAT’S WHY I DIDN’T GET CERTAIN MOVIES.
19. I COULDN’T BE HAPPIER ABOUT BEING A PART OF ‘HUNGER GAMES’ AND TO PLAY KATNISS. I HAVE A HUGE RESPONSIBILITY TO THE FANS OF THIS INCREDIBLE BOOK AND I DON’T TAKE IT LIGHTLY. I WILL GIVE EVERYTHING I HAVE TO THESE MOVIES AND TO THIS ROLE TO MAKE IT WORTHY OF SUZANNE COLLINS’ MASTERPIECE.
20. THE INTERNET TO ME IS KIND OF LIKE A BLACK HOLE, AND I NEVER REALLY GO ON IT.
21. I JUST KIND OF OPENED UP AND SAID, ‘I FEEL LIKE A RAG DOLL. I HAVE HAIR AND MAKEUP PEOPLE COMING TO MY HOUSE EVERY DAY AND PUTTING ME IN NEW, UNCOMFORTABLE, WEIRD DRESSES AND EXPENSIVE SHOES, AND I JUST SHUT DOWN AND RAISE MY ARMS UP FOR THEM TO GET THE DRESS ON, AND POUT MY LIPS WHEN THEY NEED TO PUT THE LIPSTICK ON.’
22. WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE ANYBODY TO TAKE CARE OF YOU, THEN YOU COULD GO BOTH WAYS: YOU COULD DO WHATEVER YOU WANT, OR YOU COULD TAKE CHARGE AND BE YOUR OWN PARENT.