Kiefer William Frederick Dempsey George Rufus Sutherland (born 21 December 1966) is a British-Canadian actor, film producer, and film director. He is best known for his portrayal of Jack Bauer on the Fox series 24, for which he won an Emmy Award, a Golden Globe Award, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and two Satellite Awards. He also starred as Martin Bohm in the Fox drama Touch and provided the English voice of Venom Snake in the video games Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Sutherland was born in Paddington, London to Donald Sutherland and Shirley Douglas, both successful Canadian actors. He has a twin sister, Rachel. His maternal grandfather was Scottish-born Canadian politician and former Premier of Saskatchewan Tommy Douglas, who is widely credited for bringing universal health care to Canada.
1. I WOULD LOVE TO DO ’24’ UNTIL I WAS 60, BUT I DON’T THINK ANYBODY WOULD ACCEPT IT.
2. I AM A BIT OBSESSIVE ABOUT TIDINESS. I NEED TO MAKE MY BED IN THE MORNING AND LEAVE IT PERFECTLY MADE UP.
3. THERE ARE TWO THINGS THAT JACK BAUER NEVER DOES. SHOW MERCY, AND GO TO THE BATHROOM.
4. I FEEL EXTRAORDINARILY PEACEFUL WHEN I’M WATCHING THE SUN SET.
5. WHEN YOU’RE A YOUNG ACTOR YOU LIKE TO GO FOR CHARACTERS WITH A BIT OF FLAIR, SO IN MANY FILMS I ENDED UP PLAYING THE WEIRDOS. I CAN ASSURE YOU I’M NOT A PSYCHO OR A CRIMINAL OR A BULLY.
6. I DIDN’T REALIZE THAT TELEVISION HAS GONE THROUGH IMMENSE CHANGES AND HAS BECOME VERY PROGRESSIVE.
7. THE WRITERS KEEP MANAGING TO TURN THE SHOW IN ON ITSELF, COMING UP WITH SOMETHING THAT’S WELL THOUGHT-OUT AND MIRACULOUS.
8. MY MOTHER’S FIVE-FOOT-TWO, AND I’LL BE HONEST WITH YOU – SHE’S THE ONLY PERSON I’M SCARED OF.
9. I THINK THAT THE DAY YOU’VE FIGURED OUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN WOMEN AND MEN IS THE DAY THAT YOU’RE NO LONGER ATTRACTED TO WOMEN. IT’S THE DIFFERENCE THAT IS SO FANTASTIC AND FRUSTRATING AND ANGERING, AND REALLY SEXY.
10. I LOVE COLLECTING GUITARS, EVEN THOUGH I CAN’T PLAY WELL. MY FAVOURITE GUITARISTS ARE RICHIE BLACKMORE, JIMMY PAIGE, AND JOHN MAYER.
11. I’VE MADE FILMS THAT I’VE GIVEN ALL I HAD TO, THAT NO ONE HAS SEEN. THE BOTTOM LINE IS I WANT TO WORK AND I WANT SOMEONE TO ENJOY IT.
12. WHEN I WASN’T THE FLAVOR OF THE WEEK OR MONTH OR DAY, THOSE WERE HARD TIMES.
13. I DO BELIEVE VERY STRONGLY THAT ALL OF US AND ALL OF THE OTHER THINGS IN THE CONTEXT OF OUR PLANET WITH MOTHER NATURE, ALL OF THESE THINGS ABSOLUTELY HAVE A PROFOUND EFFECT.
14. I LIKE CHATTING WITH PEOPLE. IF PEOPLE ASK ME A DIRECT QUESTION, I GIVE THEM A DIRECT ANSWER AND I FEEL I’VE ALWAYS DONE THAT WITH THE PRESS.
15. I’VE HAD SOME AMAZING PEOPLE IN MY LIFE. LOOK AT MY FATHER – HE CAME FROM A SMALL FISHING VILLAGE OF FIVE HUNDRED PEOPLE AND AT SIX FOOT FOUR WITH GIANT EARS AND A KIND OF VERY ODD EXPRESSION, THOUGHT HE COULD BE A MOVIE STAR. SO GO FIGURE, YOU KNOW?
16. ’24’ AND 20TH CENTURY FOX AND SKY TV ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TRAINING THE U.S. MILITARY. IT IS NOT OUR JOB TO DO. TO ME, THIS IS ALMOST AS ABSURD AS SAYING, ”THE SOPRANOS’ SUPPORTS THE MAFIA, AND BY VIRTUE OF THAT, HBO SUPPORTS THE MAFIA.’