Lionel Brockman Richie, Jr. (born June 20, 1949) is an American singer-songwriter, musician, record producer and actor. Beginning in 1968, he was a member of the musical group Commodores signed to Motown Records. Richie made his solo debut in 1982 with the album Lionel Richie and number-one hit “Truly”. He has sold more than 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time.
1. I ALWAYS LIKE TO CHALLENGE MYSELF. I NEVER WANT TO BE PUT INTO A BOX.
2. I JUST LIKE PEOPLE. I’LL HOLD A CONVERSATION AT A GAS STATION. IT’S NOT ABOUT THE FAME AND THE FORTUNE, I JUST LIKE PEOPLE.
3. ALL ARTISTS ARE EGOTISTICAL MANIACS WITH INFERIORITY COMPLEXES.
4. ‘LET THE MUSIC PLAY ON’ WOULD BE MY LEGACY.
5. PEOPLE, AS CRITICAL AS IT LOOKS, WE’RE OK. WE ARE IN CONTROL, WHETHER WE FEEL IT OR NOT.
6. COUNTRY MUSIC HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT AS CLOSE TO R&B AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY GET. WE’RE STORYTELLERS.
7. I FIND MYSELF GOING OUT ON THE ROAD TO GET MY CONFIDENCE BACK, BECAUSE I LOSE IT AT HOME.
8. JUST WHEN I THINK IT COULDN’T GET ANY BIGGER, ‘TUSKEGEE’ REACHES A NEW LEVEL OF SUCCESS.
9. I’M A SONGWRITER, AND PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU THE GREATEST STORIES ABOUT THEIR LIVES, WHETHER YOU WANT TO HEAR IT OR NOT.
10. I GREW UP WITH THE GRAND OLE OPRY, DOTTIE WEST, CONWAY TWITTY, BUCK OWENS… NOT REALIZING IT WAS INFLUENCING ME AS MUCH AS IT WAS.
11. MY EARLIEST MEMORIES OF COUNTRY MUSIC ARE THE GRAND OLE OPRY.
12. YOU CANNOT BEAT THE FEELING OF SITTING ON TOP OF THE CHARTS. I HAD ALMOST FORGOTTEN WHAT IT FEELS LIKE… IT FEELS GREAT! IT IS REALLY A VERY EXCITING TIME AND I AM ENJOYING THE RIDE.