Maiara Walsh (born February 18, 1988) is an American actress and singer best known for playing Ana Solis on the sixth season of the hit ABC show, Desperate Housewives and as Meena Paroom on the Disney Channel sitcom Cory in the House. As of 2013, she portrays Simone on Switched at Birth.
Walsh was born in Seattle, Washington to a Brazilian mother and American father of Irish, German, and Swedish descent. She speaks fluent Portuguese and is proficient in Spanish. Walsh and her family moved to São Paulo, Brazil when she was two years old. At 11 she moved to Simi Valley, California to pursue her acting career. Walsh is a human rights activist, and spends much of her time volunteering and getting together community projects. She also enjoys traveling, reading, spending time outdoors, and studying psychology, biology, and neuroscience on her own time. Walsh also writes a personal blog on her official website.
1. WITH ANY KIND OF MEAN GIRL, OR ANYONE WHO BULLIES ANYONE, THERE’S ALWAYS A REASON FOR IT. THERE IS THAT SADNESS IN THEM OR INSECURITY THAT MAKES THEM FEEL LIKE THEY NEED TO ACT OUT OR HURT OTHER PEOPLE.
2. I BASICALLY USE FACEBOOK AND TWITTER AND MYSPACE TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE FANS. I DON’T THINK IT’S NECESSARILY ABOUT ADVANCING MY CAREER, BUT I DO WANT TO BE ABLE TO CONNECT WITH MY FANS. THEY ARE SO IMPORTANT TO ME, AND A LOT OF THEM HAVE STUCK WITH ME SINCE THE VERY BEGINNING, AND THAT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME.
3. PROFESSIONALLY, I REALLY RESPECT NATALIE PORTMAN – HER CAREER CHOICES, ACTUALLY GOING FOR STUFF WITH SUBSTANCE.
4. MIDDLE SCHOOL WAS PROBABLY MY HARDEST TIME. I WAS TRYING TO FIT IN FOR SO LONG, UNTIL ABOUT JUNIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL WHEN I REALIZED THAT TRYING TO FIT INTO THIS ONE IMAGE OF PERFECTION WAS NEVER GOING TO MAKE ME HAPPY.
5. I THINK WHAT’S IMPORTANT IN A GOOD MANAGER AND A GOOD AGENT IS THAT THEY KNOW YOUR VISION AND THAT THEY ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT YOU AND BELIEVE IN YOU. BECAUSE IF THEY DON’T, THEN THEY’RE NOT GOING TO WORK HARD FOR YOU, AND THEY’RE GOING TO SEND YOU OUT ON THINGS THAT YOU DON’T WANT TO DO.
6. MY NUMBER ONE THING IS TO RECYCLE EVERYTHING FROM NEWSPAPER TO ALUMINUM CANS, AND I EVEN USE A CANVAS BAG INSTEAD OF THE PLASTIC ONES WHEN I GO TO THE GROCERY STORE.
7. I LOVE PLAYING CHARACTERS WHO ARE OPPOSITE OF WHO I AM.
8. MY MOM’S BRAZILIAN, SO SHE AND I DEFINITELY GREW UP WITH DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES. I WAS BORN IN AMERICA, AND SHE’S FROM BRAZIL, SO WE HAVE DIFFERENT WAYS OF DOING THINGS. THERE’S A BIT OF CULTURE CLASH THERE.