Marcia Anne Cross (born March 25, 1962) is an American television actress known for her roles as Dr. Kimberly Shaw on Fox soap opera Melrose Place (1992–1997), and Bree Van de Kamp on the ABC comedy-drama series Desperate Housewives (2004–2012).Cross was born in Marlborough, Massachusetts. She is one of three daughters of Janet, a teacher, and Mark Cross, a personnel manager. Cross was raised Catholic, and attended Marlborough High School, from where she graduated in 1980. Upon graduating high school, Cross received a half-scholarship to Juilliard, and graduated in 1984 with a B.F.A. in Acting. Cross returned to school in 1997 to earn a master’s degree in psychology, which she received from Antioch University Los Angeles in 2003.
1. I’VE BEEN WORKING SO HARD FOR THE PAST EIGHT YEARS AND I’M TIRED – BUT I’M ALSO DELICIOUSLY TIRED BECAUSE WHAT A WONDERFUL LIFE I’VE LIVED.
2. I’D LIKE TO BE A WIFE AND MOTHER. I GUESS I’LL KNOW MR. RIGHT WHEN I MEET HIM.
3. I’VE HAD THE TIME TO GO THROUGH ALL THE LIFE PHASES WITH MY PARENTS, FROM BEING A BRATTY TEENAGER, PUSHING THEM AWAY, TO SAYING LATER ON, ‘OH MY GOD, I CAN’T BELIEVE WHAT YOU DID FOR ME – THANK YOU. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.’
4. I REALLY HAVE TO FORCE MYSELF TO TIDY UP AROUND THE HOUSE.
5. I’D NEVER SAY NO TO SURGERY IN THE FUTURE, BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE, AS I GET OLDER, I’M GOING TO FACE TEMPTATION MORE.
6. IT’S KIND OF IRONIC THAT IF I GET MY PH.D., I’LL BE A REAL DOCTOR.
7. WHAT I LACK IN ENERGY, I HAVE IN WISDOM.
8. I TRY TO BALANCE IT OUT ON THE WHOLE. BEING A MUM IS ALWAYS THE PRIORITY. NEXT, IT’S TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF. RIGHT NOW, I GET TO ONLY WORK TWO DAYS A WEEK – IT’S A DREAM. I CAN’T IMAGINE HOW HARD IT IS FOR MOTHERS WHO WORK 40 HOURS A WEEK.
9. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON UNDER THE SURFACE.
10. I DON’T WANT TO LOSE MY FITNESS. I’M 45. I HAVE TWO BABIES. I’VE GOT A LONG WAY TO GO AND I WANT TO KEEP IN TIPTOP SHAPE. THERE’S NO MAGIC BULLET.
11. WITH THE RED HAIR, YOU GET THE WHITE SKIN; IT’S A PACKAGE DEAL. THE CONS ARE THAT YOU NEVER LOOK PARTICULARLY ATTRACTIVE ON THE BEACH. THE PROS ARE IN A SOFTLY LIT ROOM, YOU LOOK PRETTY.
12. I HAVE GOOD GENES IN MY FAMILY, SO WE’LL SEE JUST HOW LONG I’LL BE AROUND.
13. I WOULD ASK MY DAD WHAT HE DID, AND HE’D SAY, ‘I LISTEN TO PEOPLE’S PROBLEMS.’ IN SOME WAY WHAT HE DID FOR A LIVING IS IN MY GENES.
14. IT’S NOT LIKE I’M COOKING! I’M BREASTFEEDING – I FEEL LIKE THAT’S THE BEST COOKING I COULD DO.
15. YOUR FORTIES IS NOT THE TIME TO BE THINKING ABOUT GETTING PREGNANT.
16. I USE AS HIGH SPF AS I CAN GET, AND I LIVE UNDER A HAT LIKE A MUSHROOM ALL THE TIME. SOMEONE SAID THEY’RE WORRIED ABOUT THEIR KIDS GETTING OLDER AND DOING DRUGS, AND I GOT THIS LOOK OF HORROR ON MY FACE AND THOUGHT, ‘WHAT IF MY GIRLS DON’T WEAR HATS?’ BUT AT 13 MONTHS OLD, THEY COULD SAY ‘HAT.’
17. WHEN ‘DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES’ ENDS, I THINK MY GIRLS WILL BE ABOUT THE KINDERGARTEN AGE. I WILL BE SO HAPPY TO BE THERE FOR THEM THROUGH THAT HUGE TRANSITION.
18. I LIKE BRINGING THE GIRLS ON SET, BUT IF I CAN’T DO THAT THEN THE NEXT DAY I FEEL I HAVE TO BE UBER-MUM TO MAKE UP FOR IT. THEN I’M EXHAUSTED AND FEEL LIKE I’M RUNNING IN FUMES.
19. SOME PEOPLE THINK WEARING POWDER AGES THEM, BUT TRY IT ANYWAY. FOR ME IT MATTES MY MAKEUP AND BLENDS IT WELL.
20. IF I HAVE A 12 OR 14 HOUR WORKDAY, I AM HOME THE NEXT. I CUT OUT ANYTHING THAT IS FRIVOLOUS OR DOESN’T NEED TO BE DONE.
21. I REALLY LOVE AND IT IS IMPORTANT TO ME TO BE PHYSICALLY FIT.
22. I COULDN’T DO AN ACTING JOB JUST TO BE WORKING. IT REALLY HAD TO HAVE SOME SOUL TO IT.
23. I’LL TELL YOU MY ROUTINE – IT’S REALLY EXCITING. I FEED, I BURP, I CHANGE DIAPERS, I PUMP. AND THEN I HAVE A TINY WINDOW OF TIME TO MYSELF.