Mariah Carey (born March 27, 1969 or 1970) is an American singer-songwriter, actress, record producer, and philanthropist. Born and raised on Long Island, New York, Carey came to prominence after releasing her self-titled debut studio album Mariah Carey in 1990; it went multiplatinum and spawned four consecutive number one singles on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. Under the guidance of Columbia Records executive and later husband Tommy Mottola, she continued booking success with followup albums Emotions (1991), Music Box (1993), and Merry Christmas (1994), Carey was established as Columbia’s highest-selling act. Daydream (1995) made music history when its second single “One Sweet Day”, a duet with Boyz II Men, spent a record sixteen weeks on top of the Billboard Hot 100, and remains the longest-running number-one song in U.S. chart history.
1. BUTTERFLIES ARE ALWAYS FOLLOWING ME, EVERYWHERE I GO.
2. I’D RATHER BE ONSTAGE WITH A PIG – A DUET WITH JENNIFER LOPEZ AND ME JUST AIN’T GOING TO HAPPEN.
3. NEVER, NEVER LISTEN TO ANYBODY THAT TRY TO DISCOURAGE YOU.
4. ONE DAY I PROMISED GOD THAT IF HE WOULD GIVE ME MY VOICE BACK I WOULD NEVER SMOKE AGAIN. I GOT THREE OCTAVES BACK AFTER QUITTING.
5. THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL… HOPEFULLY ITS NOT A FREIGHT TRAIN!
6. I DON’T THINK ANYONE KNOWS AS MUCH ABOUT WHAT’S RIGHT FOR ME AS I DO.
7. I WORK MYSELF INTO THE GROUND. BUT I THINK I’M A NICE FRIEND AND A GOOD PERSON, AND I TRY TO DO MY WORK AS BEST I CAN.
8. IF CRITICS HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PERSONAL LIFE, IT’S THEIR PROBLEM. ANYBODY WITH HALF A BRAIN WOULD REALIZE THAT IT’S THE CHARTS THAT COUNT.
9. WHATEVER YOU’RE GOING THROUGH IN YOUR LIFE, DON’T EVER GIVE UP.
10. A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SINGING ABOUT HOW SCREWED UP THE WORLD IS, AND I DON’T THINK THAT EVERYBODY WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT THAT ALL THE TIME.
11. I DO NOT THINK I REINVENT MYSELF. WEARING MY HAIR DIFFERENTLY OR CHANGING MY STYLE OF DRESS IS PLAYING DRESS-UP. I DON’T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY.
12. PREGNANCY WAS PROBABLY THE BEST AND THE HARDEST THING I’LL EVER GO THROUGH. I KNOW FOR A LOT OF WOMEN, IT CAN BE WONDERFUL AND RELATIVELY EASY.
13. I TRY NOT TO BE A JERK. I REALLY DO. I TRY TO BE NICE AND CORDIAL.
14. YOU REALLY JUST WANT TO KNOW THAT SOMEBODY LOVES YOU FOR YOU. SOMETIMES YOU FEEL LIKE AN ATM MACHINE WITH A WIG ON IT.
15. IN THIS WORLD, I CALL THE SHOTS AND I THINK I KNOW BEST.
16. I USED TO BE ABLE TO SLIM DOWN JUST BY EXERCISING MORE, BUT THAT’S CHANGED.
17. MY MOTHER IS IRISH, MY FATHER IS BLACK AND VENEZUELAN, AND ME – I’M TAN, I GUESS.
18. BASICALLY, I STARTED SINGING WHEN I STARTED TALKING. MUSIC HAS JUST BEEN MY SAVING GRACE MY WHOLE LIFE.
19. I’M NOT VAIN, I’M INSECURE.
20. PEOPLE ARE CONSTANTLY ASKING ME IF I’M PREGNANT, BUT I DON’T LIKE TO TALK ABOUT IT TOO MUCH. I JUST THINK ABOUT IT AS THE NEXT PHASE. WE’LL SEE.
21. I’M NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT GOES INTO DETAILS OF MY PERSONAL LIFE ON NATIONAL TV TO GET ATTENTION. SOME THINGS ARE BETTER LEFT UNSAID.
22. THIS IS FOR ALL OF YOU OUT THERE TONIGHT, REACHING FOR A DREAM – DON’T EVER GIVE UP! NEVER EVER LISTEN TO ANYONE, WHEN THEY TRY TO DISCOURAGE YOU, BECAUSE THEY DO THAT, BELIEVE ME!
23. IF YOU SEE ME AS JUST THE PRINCESS THEN YOU MISUNDERSTAND WHO I AM AND WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH.
24. YOU REALLY HAVE TO LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF AND FIND YOUR OWN INNER STRENGTH, AND SAY, ‘I’M PROUD OF WHAT I AM AND WHO I AM, AND I’M JUST GOING TO BE MYSELF.’