Mary-Kate Olsen (born June 13, 1986) is an American actress, fashion designer, producer, author, and businesswoman. She co-founded luxury fashion brands The Row, Elizabeth and James, and the more affordable lines Olsenboye and StyleMint alongside her twin sister Ashley Olsen. Olsen pursued acting independently as an adult until 2012.
Olsen was born in Sherman Oaks, California, the daughter of Jarnette “Jarnie” (b. 1954), a personal manager, and David “Dave” Olsen, a real estate developer and mortgage banker. Along with her fraternal twin, Ashley, Olsen has an older brother, Trent; a younger sister, Elizabeth, who is also an actress; rother), from her father’s second marriage to McKenzie. Olsen’s parents divorced in 1998.
1. OUR CAREER IS A DREAM. I MEAN, WE GET TO ACT, TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD, AND MEET COOL PEOPLE. WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE!
2. I LOOK AT OLD PHOTOS OF ME, AND I DON’T FEEL CONNECTED TO THEM AT ALL.
3. I WANT TO GO TO CULINARY SCHOOL BECAUSE I LOVE COOKING. ONE DAY I’D LOVE TO OPEN UP A RESTAURANT OR CAFE.
4. I GET EXTRA TIME TO TAKE THE TEST BECAUSE OF MY ADD. EVERYBODY’S BRAINS WORKS DIFFERENTLY AND I JUST NEED LONGER FOR THINGS TO REGISTER.
5. ME AND ASHLEY FEEL LIKE WE’RE TOTALLY DIFFERENT.
6. I GREW UP HORSEBACK RIDING. THAT WAS MY PASSION. I DIDN’T START SHOPPING UNTIL ABOUT 16 OR 17, WHEN I COULD DRIVE MYSELF TO STORES AND EXPLORE ON MY OWN.
7. WE GET ALONG REALLY WELL, BUT TV AND FILM AREN’T REALITY. WE’RE BEST FRIENDS, BUT WE DO HAVE OUR FIGHTS!
8. IF THEY’RE GOING TO WRITE A STORY THEY’RE GOING TO WRITE THE STORY WHETHER IT’S TRUE OR NOT.
9. I THINK ONE DAY I WANT TO BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAMERA-MAYBE DIRECTING.
10. I LOVE TO PLAY GAMES. I REALLY LIKE FOOTBALL, AND I ALSO LIKE TO RIDE HORSES.
11. I AM A REALLY BAD TEST TAKER. I CAN GET STRAIGHT AS IN SCHOOL, BUT I GET NERVOUS ON TEST.
12. I FIND IT’S BETTER TO FOCUS ON WHAT’S IN FRONT OF YOU AND TO KEEP PUTTING ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER.
13. I THINK WE HAVE THE SAME GOALS IN MIND. WE ARE NOT PLANNING ON JUST ALL OF A SUDDEN TAKING A FILM AND SEPARATING. HOPEFULLY ONE DAY SHE CAN DIRECT ME IN SOMETHING, OR I WILL DIRECT HER. OR WE’LL PRODUCE A MOVIE UNDER OUR COMPANY’S NAME.
14. WE HAVE BEEN ROOMMATES OUR ENTIRE LIVES. WE JUST BOUGHT A PLACE TOGETHER.
15. I WEAR WEIRD THINGS SOMETIMES. I LIKE TO DRINK COFFEE. NEITHER OF THOSE THINGS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH WHO I AM.
16. WE HAD TO DECIDE: DO WE WANT TO DO SATURDAY NIGHT OR GO TO OUR SENIOR PROM? WE OPTED FOR SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.
17. HOW CAN YOU BE ORGANIZED WHEN YOU’RE IN TIMES SQUARE?
18. AUSTRALIA IS SO COOL THAT IT’S HARD TO EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START DESCRIBING IT. THE BEACHES ARE BEAUTIFUL; SO IS THE WEATHER. NOT TOO CROWDED. GREAT FOOD, GREAT MUSIC, REALLY NICE PEOPLE. IT MUST BE A LOT LIKE LOS ANGELES WAS MANY YEARS AGO.