Philip Andre Rourke Jr. (born September 16, 1952) known professionally as Mickey Rourke, is an American actor, screenwriter, and retired boxer, who has appeared primarily as a leading man in action, drama, and thriller films.
During the 1980s Rourke starred in Diner, Rumble Fish, and the erotic drama 9½ Weeks, and received critical praise for his work in Barfly and Angel Heart. In 1991 Rourke, who had trained as a boxer in his early years, left acting and became a professional boxer for a time. He had supporting roles in several later films, including The Rainmaker, Buffalo ’66, The Pledge, Get Carter, Spun, Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Man on Fire.
1. IN BOXING, YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT’S GOING TO HAPPEN. IN WRESTLING, IT’S ALREADY PREARRANGED.
2. TO ME, EVERYTHING’S COMPETITION.
3. I DON’T MIND GETTING PUNCHED IN THE NOSE BY A GUY STANDING IN FRONT OF ME. IT’S GETTING STABBED IN THE BACK THAT I CAN’T HANDLE.
4. I WAS VERY IMMATURE WHEN I WAS YOUNG, AND FOR ME THERE WAS NO BALANCE. EVERYTHING WAS JUST ALL OR NOTHING.
5. WRESTLING AND BOXING IS LIKE PING-PONG AND RUGBY. THERE’S NO CONNECTION.
6. MY DOGS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY FAMILY.
7. SOMETIMES, WHEN A MAN IS ALONE, THAT’S ALL YOU GOT IS YOUR DOG.
8. I LOVED MY MOTHER, BUT I DON’T LIKE HER.
9. A REPUTATION IS REALLY HARD TO LIVE DOWN.
10. BEING OUT OF WORK FOR 13 TO 15 YEARS IS NO WALK IN THE PARK.
11. I ALWAYS KNEW I’D ACCOMPLISH SOMETHING VERY SPECIAL – LIKE ROBBING A BANK PERHAPS.
12. I LOVE THE FIRST GODFATHER MOVIE, PART ONE. AND TWO.
13. I SPENT A LOT OF YEARS TRYING TO BEAT THE SYSTEM AND, IN THE END, THE SYSTEM KICKED MY BEHIND GOOD.
14. I STILL WORK OUT MOST DAYS. WHEN I DO IT, I GO FULL BLAST FIVE OR SIX DAYS A WEEK, TWO TO THREE HOURS A DAY. I ENJOY IT. IT’S THERAPEUTIC FOR ME.
15. I HAD A LOT OF ANGER INSIDE ME AND THAT CAME OUT AT TIMES THAT WERE NOT PARTICULARLY ADVANTAGEOUS TO ME CAREER-WISE.
16. HOLLYWOOD’S FAMOUS FOR PUTTING YOU IN A BOX.
17. ALL THAT PROSTHETIC MAKEUP DRAINS YOU. BY THE TIME IT’S LUNCH, YOU’RE DONE.
18. YOU KNOW, BACK IN ACTING SCHOOL THEY ALWAYS TEACH YOU, ‘MAKE BOLD CHOICES AND LOOK FOR ACTIVITIES THAT ARE INTERESTING.’
19. I DON’T CARE WHAT TOM CRUISE SAYS ABOUT THERAPY.
20. PEOPLE NEED MEDICINE AND THEY NEED THERAPISTS.
21. I DID THINK FOR MANY, MANY YEARS THAT BECAUSE OF MY ABILITY I COULD BEAT THE SYSTEM. AND I WAS WRONG.
22. COMEBACK IS A GOOD WORD, MAN.