Shaffer Chimere Smith (born October 18, 1982) better known by his stage name Ne-Yo, is a Grammy Award winning American R&B recording artist, songwriter, record producer, dancer, and actor. Beginning his career as a songwriter, Ne-Yo penned the hit “Let Me Love You” for singer Mario. The single’s successful release in the United States prompted an informal meeting between Ne-Yo and Def Jam’s label head, and the signing of a recording contract.
In 2006, he released his debut album, In My Own Words, which contained the US number one hit “So Sick”, as well as the top 10 hit “Sexy Love”. In 2007, he released his second album, Because of You, which contained the US top 3 hit of the same name. In 2008, he released his third album, Year of the Gentleman, which contained the top 10 hits “Closer”, “Mad” and “Miss Independent”.
1. EVERY SONG I’VE EVER WRITTEN HAS BEEN BASED IN REALITY, BASED IN FACT, THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO ME.
2. I HAVE MY DIEHARD R&B FANS ON ONE SIDE OF THE SPECTRUM AND MY DIEHARD POP AND DANCE FANS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SPECTRUM.
3. MICHAEL JACKSON BELIEVED IN MAKING MUSIC THAT MADE PEOPLE FEEL GOOD.
4. WHEN YOU’RE DRESSING ON A BUDGET, SIMPLICITY IS KEY.
5. I PROBABLY WOULDN’T BE SINGING IF NOT FOR MICHAEL JACKSON. WHEN I STARTED SINGING, I DIDN’T LIKE MY TONE UNTIL MY MOM PUT ME ON TO MICHAEL JACKSON AND STEVIE WONDER, SO LISTENING TO THE WAY THEY USED THEIR INSTRUMENT HELPED ME GET MORE COMFORTABLE WITH MY OWN.
6. FOR THE FIRST FEW YEARS OF MY LIFE MY MOM USED TO CUT MY HAIR SO THERE WERE A LOT OF BOWL-CUT HAIR STYLES.
7. I SING BECAUSE I LOVE SINGING. I PERFORM BECAUSE I LOVE PERFORMING. I WRITE BECAUSE I ACTUALLY ENJOY WRITING.
8. MY STYLE IS MAINLY ABOUT COMFORT. IT HAS TO BE COMFORTABLE, IT HAS TO LAY RIGHT ON ME, KNOW WHAT I MEAN?
9. FOR MY PROM, I WORE A WHITE SUIT WITH A BURGUNDY SHIRT, TIE AND CUMMERBUND, ALONG WITH WHITE SHOES, A WHITE TRILBY AND A CANE. I WAS EXTRA FLY THAT DAY.
10. PRINCE IS THE ULTIMATE PERFORMER. PRINCE IS THAT DUDE THAT’S GOING TO GET ON STAGE BY HIMSELF, IF HE NEED TO, BUT HOLD YOU IN THE PALM OF HIS HAND. LIKE, YOU CAN’T TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE MAN WHEN HE’S ON STAGE, AND HE COULD JUST BE SITTING THERE PLAYING HIS GUITAR.
11. I FEEL LIKE EVERYTHING IS INSPIRED BY SOMETHING ELSE. THERE IS NO 100 PERCENT ORIGINAL THOUGHT.
12. I PRIDE MYSELF ON BEING THE TYPE OF ARTIST WHO CAN WORK HALF IN THE R&B WORLD AND HALF IN THE POP WORLD.
13. MY MOM WAS THE PICTURE OF THE BLUE-COLLAR MOM: TWO AND THREE AND FOUR JOBS TO MAKE SURE THAT ME AND MY SISTER NEVER NEEDED, THAT WAS HER THING.
14. HATS HAVE BEEN MY THING PRETTY MUCH MY WHOLE LIFE BUT FINANCE HAS NOT. I WOULD GO TO THE CORNER STORE AND BUY REALLY CHEAP BASEBALL STYLE CAPS AND WEAR THOSE TO SCHOOL.