Norah Jones Shankar (born March 30, 1979) is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and actress. She is a daughter of sitar virtuoso Ravi Shankar and Sue Jones. She is Anoushka Shankar’s half-sister.
In 2002, she launched her solo music career with the release of the commercially successful and critically acclaimed album Come Away with Me, a fusion of country music and pop with elements of jazz which was certified diamond, selling over 26 million copies. The record earned Jones five Grammy Awards, including the Album of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best New Artist. Her subsequent studio albums Feels Like Home, released in 2004; Not Too Late, released in 2007, the same year she made her film debut in My Blueberry Nights; and 2009’s The Fall all gained Platinum status, selling over a million copies each and were generally well received by critics. Jones’ fifth studio album, Little Broken Hearts, was released on April 27, 2012.
1. WITHOUT A PIANO I DON’T KNOW HOW TO STAND, DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MY HANDS.
2. I’M NOT GOING TO PLAY LEAD GUITAR IN A CONCERT HALL FULL OF PEOPLE, BECAUSE I’M GOING TO MESS UP A LOT.
3. FOR ME MAKING MUSIC IS PART SOCIAL, PART INTERACTION, PART COLLABORATION.
4. I’M NOT PLANNING TO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE WITH NO BUNGEE.
5. MAKING RECORDS IS FUN. IT’S NOT SOME BIG STATEMENT. YOU’RE ALLOWED TO MAKE MISTAKES.
6. I LOVE EGGS SO MUCH. I FEEL LIKE MY DAY HASN’T STARTED UNTIL I’VE HAD EGGS. I’M PROBABLY GONNA DIE FROM HIGH CHOLESTEROL!
7. GOD BLESS RAY CHARLES. IT WAS SUCH AN HONOR TO MEET HIM AND SING WITH HIM AND ACTUALLY JUST TO WATCH HIM SING FROM JUST TWO FEET AWAY.
8. I LOVE MY DAD AND WE HAVE A VERY GOOD RELATIONSHIP NOW.
9. I DON’T WANT TO BE SINGING MY DIARY.
10. I WASN’T VERY AWARE OF POP MUSIC BECAUSE I ATTENDED AN ARTS SCHOOL. FOR ME, IT WAS ALL ABOUT JAZZ.
11. COFFEE GIVES ME BAD BREATH.
12. A LOT OF POP PEOPLE OUT THERE ARE COOL, BUT THEY OVERDO IT.
13. THE COOLEST THING I’VE GOTTEN TO DO IN THE PAST FEW YEARS IS GUEST STAR ON SESAME STREET.