Patrick Wayne Swayze (August 18, 1952 – September 14, 2009) was an American actor, dancer and singer-songwriter. Having gained fame with appearances in films during the 1980s, Swayze became popular for playing tough guys and romantic lead males, gaining him a wide fan base with female audiences and gaining him statuses as a teen idol and sex symbol. He starred in various films including The Outsiders, Red Dawn, Dirty Dancing, Road House, Ghost, Point Break, Donnie Darko, Jump!, as well as in the television serials North and South and The Beast, his final role. During his career he received three Golden Globe Award nominations and was named by People magazine as its “Sexiest Man Alive” in 1991.
1. I KEEP DREAMING OF A FUTURE, A FUTURE WITH A LONG AND HEALTHY LIFE, NOT LIVED IN THE SHADOW OF CANCER BUT IN THE LIGHT.
2. HOW DO YOU NURTURE A POSITIVE ATTITUDE WHEN ALL THE STATISTICS SAY YOU’RE A DEAD MAN? YOU GO TO WORK.
3. ONE THING I’M NOT GOING TO DO IS CHASE STAYING ALIVE. YOU SPEND SO MUCH TIME CHASING STAYING ALIVE, YOU WON’T LIVE.
4. I GOT COMPLETELY FED UP WITH THAT HOLLYWOOD BLOCKBUSTER MENTALITY. I COULDN’T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY ANY LONGER.
5. THE WAY TO SCREW UP SOMEBODY’S LIFE IS TO GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT.
6. MY WORK… IS MY LEGACY.
7. I’M TRYING TO SHUT UP AND LET MY ANGELS SPEAK TO ME AND TELL ME WHAT I’M SUPPOSED TO DO.
8. I DON’T WANT TO BE A POSTER CHILD FOR CANCER.
9. I DROPPED ABOUT 20 POUNDS IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE. AND THEN WHEN YOU SEE IT IN THE MIRROR, WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU PULL YOUR EYES DOWN, AND THE BOTTOM OF YOUR EYES GO YELLOW AND JAUNDICE SETS IN – THEN YOU KNOW SOMETHING’S WRONG.
10. WHEN IT LOOKS LIKE I MAY LIVE LONGER THAN FIVE MINUTES I’LL DROP CIGARETTES LIKE A HOT POTATO.
11. I WILL GO SO FAR AS TO SAY PROBABLY SMOKING HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY PANCREATIC CANCER.
12. WHAT’S POWERFUL ABOUT A LOVE SCENE IS NOT SEEING THE ACT. IT’S SEEING THE PASSION, THE NEED, THE DESIRE, THE CARING, THE FEAR.
13. THERE’S JUST SOMETHING ABOUT DANCE. IT’S LIKE A PRIMAL THING IN ALL OF US.
14. TO BE HONEST, I’VE MADE A GAME OUT OF TRYING TO LIVE THROUGH MY JAMES DEAN, JANIS JOPLIN, FREDDIE PRINZE, JIM MORRISON PERIOD, THOSE DEMONS THAT WE ALL HAVE THAT WE’RE EITHER SUCCESSFUL OR NOT AT MAKING WORK FOR US RATHER THAN DESTROY US.
15. THE LONGER YOUR LIFE GOES ON, THE MORE DEATH YOU FACE.
16. YOU CAN IMAGINE ME AS A KID GROWING UP IN REDNECK TEXAS WITH BALLET SHOES, TUCKING THE VIOLIN UNDER MY ARM. I HAD TO FIGHT MY WAY UP.
17. WHAT WINNING IS TO ME IS NOT GIVING UP, IS NO MATTER WHAT’S THROWN AT ME, I CAN TAKE IT. AND I CAN KEEP GOING.
18. GOOD-LOOKING PEOPLE TURN ME OFF. MYSELF INCLUDED.
19. YOU KNOW, I AM A LEO. LION IS A GIANT PART OF ME.
20. TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A WORLD WHERE CANCER NO LONGER MEANS LIVING WITH FEAR, WITHOUT HOPE, OR WORSE.
21. THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO WANT ME TO DO A COLOGNE. THEY WANT TO CALL IT ‘PATRICK.’ I WAS OFFERED A FORTUNE TO MAKE EXERCISE VIDEOS. POSTERS, ALL KINDS OF STUFF – SOMETHING LIKE $10 MILLION WORTH. IT’S INSANITY. I’M NOT GOING TO DO ANY OF IT.
22. I LIKE TO BELIEVE THAT I’VE GOT A LOT OF GUARDIAN WARRIORS SITTIN’ ON MY SHOULDER INCLUDING MY DAD.
23. TALENT DESERVES TO BE HONORED. HANDS DESERVE TO BE SLAPPED IF YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID AS WELL, BUT DON’T TAKE IT TOO FAR.
24. I KEEP MY HEART AND MY SOUL AND MY SPIRIT OPEN TO MIRACLES.
25. IF YOU LIVE THROUGH THE INITIAL STAGE OF FAME AND GET PAST IT, AND REMEMBER THATS NOT WHO YOU ARE. IF YOU LIVE PAST THAT, THEN YOU HAVE A HOPE OF MAYBE LEARNING HOW TO SPELL THE WORD ARTIST.