Richard David Bach (born June 23, 1937) is an American writer. He is widely known as the author of the hugely popular 1970s best-sellers Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah, among others. Bach’s books espouse his philosophy that our apparent physical limits and mortality are merely appearance. Bach is noted for his love of flying and for his books related to air flight and flying in a metaphorical context. He has pursued flying as a hobby since the age of 17. In late August 2012 Bach was badly injured when on approach to landing at Friday Harbor his aircraft clipped some power lines and crashed upside down in a field.
1. DON’T BE DISMAYED BY GOOD-BYES. A FAREWELL IS NECESSARY BEFORE YOU CAN MEET AGAIN. AND MEETING AGAIN, AFTER MOMENTS OR LIFETIMES, IS CERTAIN FOR THOSE WHO ARE FRIENDS.
2. THE MARK OF YOUR IGNORANCE IS THE DEPTH OF YOUR BELIEF IN INJUSTICE AND TRAGEDY. WHAT THE CATERPILLAR CALLS THE END OF THE WORLD, THE MASTER CALLS THE BUTTERFLY.
3. I WANT TO BE VERY CLOSE TO SOMEONE I RESPECT AND ADMIRE AND HAVE SOMEBODY WHO FEELS THE SAME WAY ABOUT ME.
4. THE BOND THAT LINKS YOUR TRUE FAMILY IS NOT ONE OF BLOOD, BUT OF RESPECT AND JOY IN EACH OTHER’S LIFE.
5. YOUR ONLY OBLIGATION IN ANY LIFETIME IS TO BE TRUE TO YOURSELF. BEING TRUE TO ANYONE ELSE OR ANYTHING ELSE IS NOT ONLY IMPOSSIBLE, BUT THE MARK OF A FAKE MESSIAH.
6. OUR SOULMATE IS THE ONE WHO MAKES LIFE COME TO LIFE.
7. ARGUE FOR YOUR LIMITATIONS, AND SURE ENOUGH THEY’RE YOURS.
8. ALLOW THE WORLD TO LIVE AS IT CHOOSES, AND ALLOW YOURSELF TO LIVE AS YOU CHOOSE.
9. IN ORDER TO LIVE FREE AND HAPPILY YOU MUST SACRIFICE BOREDOM. IT IS NOT ALWAYS AN EASY SACRIFICE.
10. EVERY GIFT FROM A FRIEND IS A WISH FOR YOUR HAPPINESS.
11. YOU ARE NEVER GIVEN A WISH WITHOUT ALSO BEING GIVEN THE POWER TO MAKE IT COME TRUE. YOU MAY HAVE TO WORK FOR IT, HOWEVER.
12. IF YOUR HAPPINESS DEPENDS ON WHAT SOMEBODY ELSE DOES, I GUESS YOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM.
13. TRUE LOVE STORIES NEVER HAVE ENDINGS.
14. THERE ARE NO MISTAKES. THE EVENTS WE BRING UPON OURSELVES, NO MATTER HOW UNPLEASANT, ARE NECESSARY IN ORDER TO LEARN WHAT WE NEED TO LEARN; WHATEVER STEPS WE TAKE, THEY’RE NECESSARY TO REACH THE PLACES WE’VE CHOSEN TO GO.
15. YOUR CONSCIENCE IS THE MEASURE OF THE HONESTY OF YOUR SELFISHNESS. LISTEN TO IT CAREFULLY.
16. CAN MILES TRULY SEPARATE YOU FROM FRIENDS… IF YOU WANT TO BE WITH SOMEONE YOU LOVE, AREN’T YOU ALREADY THERE?
17. YOU ARE ALWAYS FREE TO CHANGE YOUR MIND AND CHOOSE A DIFFERENT FUTURE, OR A DIFFERENT PAST.
18. THE BEST WAY TO PAY FOR A LOVELY MOMENT IS TO ENJOY IT.