Robert Selden Duvall (born January 5, 1931) is an American actor and director. He has been nominated for six Academy Awards, six Golden Globes, and has multiple nominations and one win each of the BAFTA, Screen Actors Guild Award, and Emmy Award. He received the National Medal of Arts in 2005. He has starred in some of the most acclaimed and popular films and television series of all time, including The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, To Kill a Mockingbird, THX 1138, Colors, Joe Kidd, The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, MASH, Network, The Apostle, True Grit, The Conversation, Apocalypse Now, Falling Down, Tender Mercies, The Natural, Lonesome Dove, and Get Low.
1. IT’S NO BIG THING, BUT YOU MAKE BIG THINGS OUT OF LITTLE THINGS SOMETIMES.
2. SPENDING TWO YEARS ON MY UNCLE’S RANCH IN MONTANA AS A YOUNG MAN GAVE ME THE WISDOM AND THE THRUST TO DO WESTERNS.
3. AROUND MY OWN FRIENDS, I LIKE TO MESS AROUND.
4. I LOVE WORKING IN TEXAS ANYWHERE.
5. I ALWAYS THOUGHT OF MYSELF AS A LATER BLOOMER, SO I LIKE SOME OF MY WORK MORE LATER THAN EARLIER.
6. LOOK, HOLLYWOOD’S A MECCA, BUT IT’S NOT THE FINAL ANSWER. YOU PICK UP A CAMERA ANYPLACE IN THE WORLD, YOU CAN MAKE A MOVIE.
7. I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT A WOMAN. I HAVE TO HAVE A WOMAN, HAVE TO HAVE A WIFE.
8. I LIKE THE GOOD FEELING MOVIES.
9. I HAD A WONDERFUL CAREER.
10. I TRY NOT TO LOOK FOR MESSAGES IN FILMS.
11. I’M BETTER THAN OLIVIER.
12. YOU REALLY HAVE TO SOAK UP THE CULTURE OF THE PEOPLE TO GET IT RIGHT. IF YOU’RE MAKING A FICTION FILM, IT’S ENTERTAINMENT, BUT YOU WANT IT TO BE AS REAL AS POSSIBLE.