Russell Ira Crowe (born 7 April 1964) is a New Zealand actor, film producer and musician based in Australia and the United States. He came to international attention for his role as the Roman General Maximus Decimus Meridius in the 2000 historical epic film Gladiator, directed by Ridley Scott, for which Crowe won an Academy Award for Best Actor, a Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor, an Empire Award for Best Actor and a London Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor and 10 further nominations for best actor. Crowe appeared as the tobacco firm whistle blower Jeffrey Wigand in the 1999 film The Insider, for which he received five awards as best actor and seven nominations in the same category. In 2001, Crowe’s portrayal of mathematician and Nobel Prize winner John F. Nash in the biopic A Beautiful Mind brought him numerous awards, including a BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama and a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role.
1. I’M SICK TO DEATH OF FAMOUS PEOPLE STANDING UP AND USING THEIR CELEBRITY TO PROMOTE A CAUSE. IF I SEE A PARTICULAR NEED, I DO TRY TO HELP. BUT THERE’S A LOT THAT CAN BE ACHIEVED BY PUTTING A CHECK IN THE RIGHT PLACE AND SHUTTING UP ABOUT IT.
2. I RESPOND IN THE MOMENT WHICH IS WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD ACTOR.
3. I’M DESTINED TO BE ATTRACTED TO THOSE I CANNOT DEFEAT.
4. IF I DON’T GET THE GOOSE-BUMP FACTOR WHEN I’M READING IT THAN I CAN’T DO IT.
5. I WANT TO MAKE MOVIES THAT PIERCE PEOPLE’S HEARTS AND TOUCH THEM IN SOME WAY, EVEN IF IT’S JUST FOR THE NIGHT WHILE THEY’RE IN THE CINEMA; IN THAT MOMENT, I WANT TO BRING ACTUAL TEARS TO THEIR EYES AND GOOSEBUMPS TO THEIR SKIN.
6. WHEN I WAS A LITTLE KID, I USED TO REALLY EMBARRASS MY PARENTS.
7. THE IMPORTANT THING TO ME IS THAT I’M NOT DRIVEN BY PEOPLE’S PRAISE AND I’M NOT SLOWED DOWN BY PEOPLE’S CRITICISM. I’M JUST TRYING TO WORK AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL I CAN.
8. I DON’T PLAY CHESS WITH MY LIFE, YA’ KNOW.
9. YOU DON’T WANT TO BE STARTING A FILM NOT KNOWING WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.
10. I’D LIKE TO PLAY PASSIONATE WOMEN, BUT NO ONE WILL LET ME.
11. LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, I’VE HAD MOMENTS WHEN I’VE FELT THAT I’VE BEEN LOSING MY GRIP.
12. THERE HAS TO BE A MATHEMATICAL EXPLANATION FOR HOW BAD THAT TIE IS.
13. YOU DON’T WANT TO BE THE GUY WHOSE BACK’S TO THE CAMERA IN THE EMOTIONAL PART OF THE MOVIE. SO, YOU HAVE TO BE AWARE OF THE CAMERA MOVEMENT AND WHAT THE CAMERA’S DOING.
14. REALITY IS, I’M AN ACTOR AND AN ENTERTAINER, AND I REALLY WOULDN’T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH ANOTHER PROFESSION.
15. I’D MOVE TO LOS ANGELES IF NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA WERE SWALLOWED UP BY A TIDAL WAVE, IF THERE WAS A BUBONIC PLAGUE IN ENGLAND AND IF THE CONTINENT OF AFRICA DISAPPEARED FROM SOME MARTIAN ATTACK.
16. MY CHILDREN HAVE NEVER WATCHED ANY OF MY FILMS. CHARLIE KNOWS THAT DADDY MAKES MOVIES, BUT HE SAYS THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR HIM TO WATCH.
17. PEOPLE ACCUSE ME OF BEING ARROGANT ALL THE TIME. I’M NOT ARROGANT, I’M FOCUSED.
18. I LIKE VILLAINS BECAUSE THERE’S SOMETHING SO ATTRACTIVE ABOUT A COMMITTED PERSON – THEY HAVE A PLAN, AN IDEOLOGY, NO MATTER HOW TWISTED. THEY’RE MOTIVATED.
19. I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE, WHO DIVIDE THEIR WHOLE LIFE UP INTO ‘THINGS THAT I LIKE’ AND ‘THINGS THAT I MUST DO.’ YOU’RE ONLY HERE FOR A SHORT TIME, MATE. LEARN TO LIKE IT.
20. MEG RYAN IS A BEAUTIFUL AND COURAGEOUS WOMAN. I GRIEVE THE LOSS OF HER COMPANIONSHIP BUT I’VE NOT LOST THE FRIENDSHIP. WE TALK ALL THE TIME AND THAT WAS WHAT OUR CONNECTION WAS ABOUT. SHE HAS A WONDERFUL MIND AND WE JUST LIKE A CHAT.
21. GOD BLESS AMERICA. GOD SAVE THE QUEEN. GOD DEFEND NEW ZEALAND AND THANK CHRIST FOR AUSTRALIA.
22. I DON’T MAKE DEMANDS. I DON’T TELL YOU HOW IT SHOULD BE. I’LL GIVE YOU OPTIONS, AND IT’S UP TO YOU TO SELECT OR THROW ‘EM AWAY. THAT SHOULD BE THE HEADLINE: IF YOU’RE INSECURE, DON’T CALL.
23. THERE’S NOTHING LIKE SITTING BACK AND TALKING TO YOUR COWS.
24. MY DAYS, IF THEY START IN THE MORNING WITH A CUDDLE FROM MY SON, ARE JUST SO MUCH MORE GLORIOUS THAN THEY WERE PRIOR TO THAT.