Sean Justin Penn (born August 17, 1960) is an American actor, screenwriter, film director, activist, and politician. He is known for his left-wing political and social activism, including humanitarian work. He is a two-time Academy Award winner for his roles in Mystic River (2003) and Milk (2008), as well as the recipient of a Golden Globe Award for the former and a Screen Actors Guild Award for the latter.
Penn began his acting career in television with a brief appearance in a 1974 episode of Little House on the Prairie, directed by his father Leo Penn.
1. THERE’S A LOT OF MEDIOCRITY BEING CELEBRATED, AND A LOT OF WONDERFUL STUFF BEING IGNORED OR DISCOURAGED.
2. CHILD-REARING IS MY MAIN INTEREST NOW. I’M A HANDS-ON FATHER.
3. I THINK LIFE’S AN IRRATIONAL OBSESSION.
4. THERE’S NOT A LOT OF GOOD MOVIES BEING MADE.
5. WE’VE LET THE BLADE OF OUR INNOCENCE DULL OVER TIME, AND IT’S ONLY IN INNOCENCE THAT YOU FIND ANY KIND OF MAGIC, ANY KIND OF COURAGE.
6. SO IF WE HAVE ANYTHING ORIGINAL TO OFFER, IT’S TO SPEAK FROM OUR OWN LIFE ABOUT THE SOCIETY WE’RE IN.
7. I THINK WE ALL HAVE LIGHT AND DARK INSIDE US.
8. IF YOU’RE WILLING TO PUT TWO THOUGHTS INTO A PICTURE THEN YOU’RE ALREADY AHEAD OF THE GAME.
9. I’M NOT A BREAKFAST EATER.
10. AT THIS STAGE, WHAT WOULD BE REWARDING WOULD BE FOR AUDIENCES TO WANT TO WATCH.
11. I THINK THAT I’VE STILL NOT BEEN SUCCESSFUL AT PLAYING THE ROLE OF THE RETIRED ACTOR, AND I’D LIKE TO WORK ON THAT.
12. LOVE IS A MESS, AT BEST, AND I FIGURE IT CAN BE VERY REAL IN SPITE OF ALL THE THINGS PEOPLE TRY TO ATTACH TO IT.
13. I’VE BEEN A ROAD-RAT SINCE I GOT MY DRIVER’S LICENCE AT 16, SO I’VE PROBABLY GONE ACROSS AMERICA 20 TIMES.
14. IN MY TEENS, I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE MOVIES.