Steven Vincent “Steve” Buscemi (born December 13, 1957) is an American actor, director and writer. Buscemi has starred and supported in successful Hollywood and indie films, including Parting Glances, New York Stories, Mystery Train, Reservoir Dogs, Desperado, Con Air, Armageddon, The Grey Zone, Ghost World and Big Fish; and the HBO television series The Sopranos. He is also known for his appearances in many films by the Coen brothers: Miller’s Crossing, Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo and The Big Lebowski.
1. TO ME, IT DOESN’T REALLY MATTER HOW BIG THE PART IS AS LONG AS THE PART IS IMPORTANT TO THE STORY.
2. WHEN I GET CAST, I ALWAYS FLIP TO THE END OF THE SCRIPT TO SEE IF MY CHARACTER GETS BEATEN UP OR KILLED.
3. I THINK ALL COMICS BORROW FROM EACH OTHER. ONLY A FEW HAVE AN ORIGINAL VOICE, AND I WASN’T ONE OF THEM. IN THE END, I COULDN’T FIGURE OUT WHO TO STEAL FROM, SO I STOPPED DOING IT.
4. WHEN I WAS IN PRE-PRODUCTION FOR TREES LOUNGE, I WAS HEARING THE CINEMATOGRAPHER TALKING WITH THE PRODUCTION DESIGNER ABOUT COLOURS AND THIS AND THAT, AND FEELING LIKE I WAS LOSING CONTROL.
5. WITH ANIMAL FACTORY YOU’D THINK THAT BECAUSE IT’S MOSTLY INTERIORS, YOU COULD SHOOT IT ANYWHERE. SO WE SHOT THIS IN PHILADELPHIA, AND WE HAD THE COOPERATION OF THE PRISON SYSTEM.
6. ANYTHING YOU WRITE, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO START OVER, IS VALUABLE. I LET THE STORY WRITE ITSELF THROUGH THE CHARACTERS.
7. I HAD A MAGIC KIT. I NEVER REALLY FOLLOWED THROUGH ON IT, BUT I HAD MY PHASE OF WANTING TO DO IT, SURE.
8. MY GREATEST HOPE WAS TO GET DISCOVERED AS A COMEDIAN AND GET ON A SITCOM.
9. I’M TERRIBLE AT STORY AND STRUCTURE, BUT I’M NOT SO BAD AT WRITING DIALOGUE.
10. IT DOESN’T MATTER TO ME WHAT THE GENRE IS.
11. I’M ALWAYS LOOKING FOR OTHER INTERESTING FILMS TO EITHER ACT IN OR DIRECT.
12. I WAS VERY SURPRISED THAT FOR A WHILE I COULD ONLY GET CAST AS STRAIGHT. IT WAS THAT WAY FOR A FEW YEARS.