Stephen John “Steve” Coogan (born 14 October 1965) is an English actor, stand-up comedian, impressionist, writer, and producer. He began his career in the 1980s, working as a voice artist on the satirical puppet show Spitting Image. In the early 1990s, he began creating original comic characters, leading him to win the Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. In 1999, he co-founded the production company Baby Cow Productions.
While working with Armando Iannucci on The Day Today and On the Hour, Coogan created his most developed and popular character, Alan Partridge, a socially awkward and politically incorrect regional media personality.
1. WHEN I SEE FRIENDS FROM SCHOOL I THINK THEY’VE ALL GROWN OLD AND I’VE STAYED THE SAME.
2. COMEDY IS UNIQUE IN THE SENSE THAT LAUGHTER IS A PALPABLE NOISE THAT EVERYONE MAKES.
3. IF THE PERSON WHO CAN EFFECTIVELY SANCTION ILL-CONCEIVED WARS CAN PLAY THE ELECTRIC GUITAR, WHICH IS A SYMBOL OF REBELLION, THEN THAT WHOLE WORLDVIEW BECOMES CONFUSED.
4. THE TABLOIDS OPERATE IN AN AMORAL PARALLEL UNIVERSE WHERE THE BOTTOM LINE IS SELLING NEWSPAPERS.
5. I FIND IMPRESSIONISTS SLIGHTLY ANNOYING, REALLY.
6. I DID NOT BECOME SUCCESSFUL IN MY WORK THROUGH EMBRACING OR ENGAGING IN CELEBRITY CULTURE. I NEVER SIGNED AWAY MY PRIVACY IN EXCHANGE FOR SUCCESS.
7. I AM OF THE VERY LAST GENERATION WHO DIDN’T HAVE COMPUTERS AT SCHOOL. AS WE GROW OLD WE’LL BECOME SOMETHING OF AN ABERRATION.
8. IF YOU DO SOMETHING VERY SUCCESSFUL, YOU WILL THEN BE DEFINED BY IT.
9. ME, MYSELF, PERSONALLY, I LIKE TO KEEP MYSELF PRIVATE. I HAVE NEVER SAID I AM A PARAGON OF VIRTUE, A MODEL OF MORALITY. I SIMPLY DO WHAT I DO.
10. I’VE ALWAYS BEEN DRAWN TO DISCOMFORT AND THAT LIMBO OF UNEASE YOU GET BETWEEN COMEDY AND TRAGEDY.
11. THE TRICK IS ALWAYS TO WRITE IN PAIRS BECAUSE IF AT LEAST TWO PEOPLE FIND IT FUNNY, YOU’VE IMMEDIATELY HALVED THE ODDS OF IT NOT BEING FUNNY.
12. IF YOU CHASE SOMETHING TOO DESPERATELY, IT ELUDES YOU.