Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt (October 27, 1858 – January 6, 1919) was the 26th President of the United States (1901–1909). He is noted for his exuberant personality, range of interests and achievements, and his leadership of the Progressive Movement, as well as his “cowboy” persona and robust masculinity. He was a leader of the Republican Party and founder of the first incarnation of the short-lived Progressive (“Bull Moose”) Party of 1912. Before becoming President, he held offices at the city, state, and federal levels. Roosevelt’s achievements as a naturalist, explorer, hunter, author, and soldier are as much a part of his fame as any office he held as a politician. Roosevelt was 42 years old when sworn in as President of the United States in 1901, making him the youngest president ever; he beat out the youngest elected president, John F. Kennedy, by only one year. Roosevelt was also the first of only three sitting presidents to have won the Nobel Peace Prize.
1. THE ONLY MAN WHO NEVER MAKES MISTAKES IS THE MAN WHO NEVER DOES ANYTHING.
2. THERE IS NOT A MAN OF US WHO DOES NOT AT TIMES NEED A HELPING HAND TO BE STRETCHED OUT TO HIM, AND THEN SHAME UPON HIM WHO WILL NOT STRETCH OUT THE HELPING HAND TO HIS BROTHER.
3. ORDER WITHOUT LIBERTY AND LIBERTY WITHOUT ORDER ARE EQUALLY DESTRUCTIVE.
4. CHARACTER, IN THE LONG RUN, IS THE DECISIVE FACTOR IN THE LIFE OF AN INDIVIDUAL AND OF NATIONS ALIKE.
5. I AM ONLY AN AVERAGE MAN, BUT BY GEORGE, I WORK HARDER AT IT THAN THE AVERAGE MAN.
6. NEVER THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAS A MAN WHO LIVED A LIFE OF EASE LEFT A NAME WORTH REMEMBERING.
7. THE REASON FAT MEN ARE GOOD NATURED IS THEY CAN NEITHER FIGHT NOR RUN.
8. IF YOU’VE GOT THEM BY THE BALLS, THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS WILL FOLLOW.
9. COURAGE IS NOT HAVING THE STRENGTH TO GO ON; IT IS GOING ON WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE THE STRENGTH.
10. DON’T HIT AT ALL IF IT IS HONORABLY POSSIBLE TO AVOID HITTING; BUT NEVER HIT SOFT!
11. WHENEVER YOU ARE ASKED IF YOU CAN DO A JOB, TELL ‘EM, ‘CERTAINLY I CAN!’ THEN GET BUSY AND FIND OUT HOW TO DO IT.
12. NO ONE CARES HOW MUCH YOU KNOW, UNTIL THEY KNOW HOW MUCH YOU CARE.
13. WHEN THEY CALL THE ROLL IN THE SENATE, THE SENATORS DO NOT KNOW WHETHER TO ANSWER ‘PRESENT’ OR ‘NOT GUILTY’.
14. WHEN YOU PLAY, PLAY HARD; WHEN YOU WORK, DON’T PLAY AT ALL.
15. A VOTE IS LIKE A RIFLE: ITS USEFULNESS DEPENDS UPON THE CHARACTER OF THE USER.
16. KNOWING WHAT’S RIGHT DOESN’T MEAN MUCH UNLESS YOU DO WHAT’S RIGHT.
17. EVERY IMMIGRANT WHO COMES HERE SHOULD BE REQUIRED WITHIN FIVE YEARS TO LEARN ENGLISH OR LEAVE THE COUNTRY.
18. I AM AN AMERICAN; FREE BORN AND FREE BRED, WHERE I ACKNOWLEDGE NO MAN AS MY SUPERIOR, EXCEPT FOR HIS OWN WORTH, OR AS MY INFERIOR, EXCEPT FOR HIS OWN DEMERIT.
19. THE THINGS THAT WILL DESTROY AMERICA ARE PROSPERITY AT ANY PRICE, PEACE AT ANY PRICE, SAFETY FIRST INSTEAD OF DUTY FIRST AND LOVE OF SOFT LIVING AND THE GET-RICH-QUICK THEORY OF LIFE.
20. I AM A PART OF EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE READ.
21. IF YOU COULD KICK THE PERSON IN THE PANTS RESPONSIBLE FOR MOST OF YOUR TROUBLE, YOU WOULDN’T SIT FOR A MONTH.
22. TO EDUCATE A PERSON IN THE MIND BUT NOT IN MORALS IS TO EDUCATE A MENACE TO SOCIETY.
23. WHEN YOU’RE AT THE END OF YOUR ROPE, TIE A KNOT AND HOLD ON.
24. SPEAK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG STICK; YOU WILL GO FAR.
25. KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE STARS, AND YOUR FEET ON THE GROUND.
26. IT IS HARD TO FAIL, BUT IT IS WORSE NEVER TO HAVE TRIED TO SUCCEED.
27. BELIEVE YOU CAN AND YOU’RE HALFWAY THERE.
28. DO WHAT YOU CAN, WITH WHAT YOU HAVE, WHERE YOU ARE.