Tyrese Darnell Gibson (born December 30, 1978), also known simply as Tyrese, is an American Grammy-nominated R&B singer-songwriter, actor, author, television producer, former fashion model and MTV VJ. He is best known for his role as Roman Pearce in the The Fast and the Furious series. After releasing several albums, he transitioned into films, with lead roles in several major Hollywood releases.
Gibson was born and raised in Watts, Los Angeles, California. His mother, Priscilla Murray Gibson, raised him and his three older siblings as a single parent after Gibson’s father, Tyrone Gibson, left. Gibson attended Florida A&M University.
1. I’VE NEVER BOXED IN MY LIFE, NEVER BEEN IN A MILITARY BASE IN MY LIFE, NEVER GREW UP WITH ANYONE IN THE MILITARY.
2. I CAN SAY, HANDS DOWN, ‘ANNAPOLIS’ IS THE MOST CHALLENGING FILM I’VE EVER TAKEN ON.
3. I’M NOT JUST A VOICE WHO WANTS TO SING ON ANYTHING. I CO-PRODUCE, I WANT TO SELECT WHO COMES IN AND PLAYS ON WHAT SONGS, WHO TO DUET WITH AND ALL OF IT.
4. I’VE NEVER HAD TO FIGHT HARD FOR ANYTHING I’VE GOTTEN IN THE PAST.
5. WHEN YOU’RE IN SHAPE, YOU DON’T HAVE TO WALK UP TO SOMEBODY AND SAY, ‘YO, I LOVE MYSELF.’ YOU LOOK LIKE YOU CARE FOR YOURSELF.
6. WHEN YOU STEP ON THE TREADMILL, MAKE A COMMITMENT. DO, SAY, 3 MILES A DAY. AND DON’T GET OFF UNTIL YOU FINISH. IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT SPEED YOU’RE GOING. JUST DON’T GET OFF.
7. IF YOU’RE NOT HAPPY ABOUT HOW YOU LOOK, YOU HAVE TO QUESTION HOW MUCH SELF-LOVE YOU HAVE.
8. THE BEAUTIFUL THING ABOUT MY INTELLIGENCE IS THAT IT DOESN’T REALLY COME IN ONE SPECIFIC DEPARTMENT. SO EVEN IF SOMETHING HASN’T HAPPENED TO ME, I HAVE INFORMATION ON HOW TO GET YOU THROUGH WHATEVER YOU MAY BE GOING THROUGH.